2011年4月22日星期五

Former North Carolina defensive tackle Marvin Austin impresses at NFL combine


Marvin Austin still has some convincing to do, but the former North Carolina defensive tackle has repaired his draft stock considerably in the past seven weeks.

Suspended all of last year for receiving improper benefits that included two trips to California and two trips to Miami, Austin followed up a dominating week at the Shrine Game with one of the best performances by a defensive lineman at February's NFL combine.

At 6-feet-2 and 309 pounds, Austin ran an unofficial 4.9-second 40-yard dash and bench-pressed 225 pounds 38 times, the second most by anyone regardless of position.

A projected second-day pick who before his problems was considered a lock for the first round, Austin handled himself well with reporters, comfortably answering questions about his transgressions and his time away from football.

"It's still hard to watch some of the stuff that's said about my character," Austin said at the combine. "I've never taken a drink in my life, I've never smoked in my life. I've done everything to get to this point but one mistake, taking a couple of trips -- and one of them was taken to help me get better as an athlete -- has cost me my whole senior season and my image."

Without football, Austin said he took time off to heal his body, then spent the last three months training in Tampa.

He still has to prove to teams he has matured off and on the field after a four-sack junior season.

But Austin suggested whatever team drafts him will get a player on par with the top two defensive tackle prospects, Alabama's Marcell Dareus and Auburn's Nick Fairley.

"If I was able to play (last year) there wouldn't be a conversation about those dudes," Austin said. "They're great players, but I don't think they're better than me."

没有评论:

发表评论